Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Monday, February 26, 2007

North To Alaska...Go North The Rush Is On........

Well, that about says it all, don't it???? As I stated in my last post, dh received his separation date and so, I have been sending out resumes like a mad woman. I think at last count, I have sent out 70 resumes...sigh. I made the comment last post, that I did not want to go north. You know what they say about the best laid plans...yikes.

Dh received a call today. It was from a recruiter. I was so excited. It is for a position in his field of skilled trades. They cover relo costs, benefits, 401, the works. Plus, the pay is phenomenal. I am listening to his side of said conversation. Every time he says "Really?" in that certain tone of voice that at once conveys extreme interest and excitement, I get more and more anxious.

After about 30 minutes of waiting......and having to sit on my hands so that I don't grab the phone outta his.....he hangs up and looks at me. Uh Oh...not good. I *know* that look.

He starts by saying that the Recruiter was impressed with his resume and that he feels that dh would fill this position nicely. The pay is based on experience, and in dh's case, he would be taking home in one week what it takes him 3 weeks to make at FMC. OMG!!!!! Maybe the good Lord is finally smiling on us!!!! I get up and do a little jig around the kitchen! I am so excited!!! Then I happen to look at dh, and remember why I felt that "uh oh" feeling to begin with. I sit down and tell him to tell me the rest.

Well, the job is in a remote area of .....Alaska. Alaska. Hmmmm.....WTF?!!!!!! I just look at him. I keep picturing igloos and penguins. I didn't know what to say. I am stumped. Why, Why Alaska??? Why couldn't this job be in ...oh...lets see....Virginia?????? I could feel my inner beach bunny shivering and yelling for a parka with a muff. Yikes....

What do I know about Alaska? All I know is that it gets much, much, much colder than Michigan. That winter last longer. That the days and nights are six months straight of each. That there are Polar Bears there. And the words *remote* do not add comfort. I keep picturing right at the edge of the Artic circle. Why on God's green earth would *Anyone* want to live there?????????? That thread from Teresa in Alaska saying that at -40 it is all the same, keeps going thru my head...shiver.

Well....all I can say is this....I need to seriously keep sending out resumes (praying that we get hits) or....I better stock up on the Bailey's and Folgers...sigh.....and lots of socks......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post on the bb...

There's a woman there that lives in Alaska.

Best place to start for info.

Sheri

Lemon Stand said...

Holy Cow! LOL! Well, if I were in your shoes and looking to make lemonade, I could say that at least I wouldn't have to look far to find the ice cubes for it... :o) I will pray that another wonderful offer comes from a place that your inner beach bunny will be happy at....

SINFUL said...

Oh Doc - something else will come along - wouldn't that day/night business would drive you crazy?

And P.S. - no penguins in Alaska - they are to the south - way, way to the south!