Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Saturday, February 17, 2007

What Were We Thinking??????????

Earlier today, I was doing some reading for my class. I had to set it aside, as I just couldn't concentrate. Couldn't have been because of the LOUD music coming from the living room, ya think? So, I get up and mosey on over to the other room to see who and what is on the old telly. And what I saw sure brought a smile and a grimace to my face. See, dh was watching "Metal Mania" on VH1 classic. LOL....oh what memories these videos brought back.

I am a child of the 80's. To be honest, I lovethe 80's! I got my first kiss in the 80's. Learned how to drive, had my first crush, had my first date, went on my first Spring Break, graduated High School and a had numerous other "firsts" in the 80's. To me, looking back, they were a magical time.

I remember being 13, and me and my bff waiting for the "World Premier" of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video. I remember having friends who "had" to have the red and black jacket that he sported. Remember the dance moves he made look so easy? Yep, "The Moonwalk" was practiced and perfected in my bedroom while the record player (yes, a "record player"..lol) was playing the album continuously on the loudest level that we could get away with. Singing at the top of my voice and telling "Billy Jean" that she wasn't his lover...lol.

I remember being 16, getting my license, and cruising Telegraph to the blasting accompniment of " Motley Crue, Poisen, Bon Jovi, WhiteSnake"..and swearing that Brett Michaels was the "hottest" man in the world.

Now, as I was watching the videos thru a 38 year old's eyes, I can't help but think how campy the "Big Hair and Metal" look was! lol. Honestly, some of these men were "prettier" than a lot of women I know!lol. They had nicer hair, better legs, fuller lips and better mascara and eye liner techniques than I have "ever" managed to develope! But, to the teenage girl in the 1980's, they were the epitome of "sexy".....yeah, what the heck were we thinking???lol.

Still, even as I am writing this, I have a big, stupid grin on my face...lol. It was a magical time, as I have already said. The 80's introduced us to MTV and VH-1 (as I am reminicing, that song "Video Killed The Radio Star" is going thru my mind!).

We got to figure out "Who Shot J.R."-comeon, I *know* you all watched it too! We were inudated with "Luke and Laura", to the point that there was a record released giving a synopsis in song about the whole story line.(I still have that record packed away somewhere) That same story line gave us Jessie's Girl and Dr. Noah Drake, you remember him, don't ya? Many a teenage girl remembers him!lol

I remember trying to "sqeeze" my butt into "Gloria Vanderbilt" and "Calvin Klein" jeans, because "everyone" had them...lol. And I don't even want to think about the damage to the ozone that I created all by myself, with the copius amounts of hairspray that I went thru on a weekly basis. YIKES!

So..as we are watching Metal Mania, and laughing about the videos, my daughter looks at me and says " Did you guys *really* like this stuff?" when I replied "yeah, this kind of stuff was what we all listened to"---- she just shook her head and said "those men look like women! What were you thinking?".....I dunno, but I sure miss it sometimes...lol........V

No comments: