Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Lizards and Scorpions and Snakes...oh my....

Well, dh has landed in Yuma. Actually, he landed in Phoenix and drove to Yuma. It has been quite a week around here.

As I had posted before, dh has accepted a buy out from Ford Motor. In Feb. he finally received his separation date. So, for the past month, I have been sending out resumes like a mad woman. It has become a ritual. Get home from school, do dinner, homework, bathe kids, put kids to bed and log in and send resumes' out. I know that I have sent some companies duplicates...sigh. Anyway, last week we got a serious hit. A big company called to speak to dh. They had the resume that I had sent to them, and they proceeded to "interview" dh on the phone. After the phone call, dh looked at me and said "what do you think of Az?"

The next day, we had his plane ticket, hotel room and rental car, courtesy of the company that wants to hire him. There was one glitch though. It seems that, because the facility that dh would be working out of is located in Mexicali, Mexico, he will need a birth certificate. My question is: why is it that the wife has to keep track of these things????? When dh told me that he needed his b.c., I tore the house apart looking for it. All to no avail...sigh.

I look at dh and say, "You were born in Detroit, right?" Dh looks at me and says "yeah, I am pretty sure that is right"----WTF????!!!!!! How can you not know where you were born??????!!!!!!!! Dumbass.....(I said this in a loving tone.....I swear......well......probably more in an exasperated one at least....)

Anyway, I tell him to call the City and see if we can get one. So, after calling and being re-directed numerous times by the City of Detroit, he finally gets the right place. "Yes Mr. Miller, you will be able to pick up your birth cert same day servous. Just make your check payable to the City for 45.00" .....$45!!!!!!! Jeeze, is it made of gold????? Cripes!

Friday comes, and dh heads downtown after class to pick up his bc. Now, I didn't realize that dh didn't realize that there is this common occurrence that happens every spring in and around the freeways of Metro Detroit. This occurrence is called.......yep..you guessed it..... Construction Zones...lol. It took dh 2 hours to get to what would normally only take 30 minutes! He was not happy. Add that to the fact that he had to wait 3 hours to get to the counter, only to be told by the "overpaid under worked city clerk" that the computer system just went down and that she would not be able to look up his birth cert....oh boy. Dh comes into the house in a, shall we say, not so pleasant mood. I tell him to sit down, shut up and drink a glass of sweet tea, while I head to the computer. Ah...the miracle of the Internet! In about 10 minutes I have ordered his b.c.. Of course, I had to pay $60, but when in need, don't be picky, I always say.

So, I saunter back to the living room and tell him that we will have his bc. by Monday. He calls and talks to the powers that be, and is told that he doesn't need it for the trip. Crisis averted. Mom to the rescue again.

So, this morning, I drop him off at the airport, and away he goes. He called to say that he is safe at his hotel, and that he says, "even though Az has those creatures that you hate ie: snakes, lizards, scorpions, all of them Nasties, the state is beeuuuutiful." He then proceeds to tell me that he has a couple of pictures that he is downloading and sending to me.

When I look at what he sent me I am in awe: A beautiful pic of the mountains that surround Phoenix, a pic of the car that he is driving (a cherry red 07 'Stang).....and a sign that I can't quite make out. So, after fiddling with the phone for a while, I finally have it.....yes....there it is........what?????....the sign says, VERY CLEARLY......."beware of poisonous insects and reptiles"....complete with a picture of the nasties......sigh.....it is gonna be a long summer......

3 comments:

SINFUL said...

A helpful hint . . .My cousin in AZ doesn't have dust ruffles on the beds in an effort to keep from sleeping with scorpions . . . don't know if that means they're too stupid to find the legs, only like to climb material . . . or maybe she's just reducing the odds. But she lives on top of a mountain. My aunt who lives on the flat has no scorpion troubles! Avoid the higher altitudes!!!!

Best wishes to the dh!!!!

emily said...

love those signs V... i remember driving through the southwest, and seeing one of those signs for the first time, at a rest stop... i had to go desperately, but i was in flip flops and i'm of the belief that bare toes and possible snake sitings don't go hand in hand - there was quite a debate in my head about that one, lemme tell ya... do i get out of the car and run the risk in my flip flops? are these signs for real or just a scare tactic thing? realistically, how long can i hold it?

being a total wimp, i decided i could hold it a bit longer, and find an INDOOR place to go... with no sign... i being to see the appeal in adult diapers... =o)

R&R said...

Hey, if all goes well and this is the opportunity of a lifetime for you and the White Boy...those of us who will still have to deal with snow could send you a bunch to sprinkle around you...it'll keep the nasties away. Like fairy dust. ; )Yep, with every shovel I heave, I'll think of it as fairy dust and be glad I don't have to worry about scorpions in my bed...ewwww...

Keeping good thoughts headed your way...or dh's way...my thoughts are so confused, lol.