Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

FMC....To Me, Those Initials Don't Just Stand For Ford Motor Company, But Something Else....

Ok, this is my second post of the day. And this time I am pissed.

If you have read my last few entries, you know that my husband worked at Ford Motor Company, and has accepted one of the buy-out packages. And, before I start, let me just say to anyone who wants to b**** at me about the Big 3 and buy-outs for the blue collar UAW workers......if you are not in their shoes, keep your trap shut. Sorry, don't mean to sound mean, but honestly, I am sick of the bashing that the UAW workers are taking in the Detroit forums. And let me also say..I am not a union diehard. There are a lot of problems in the UAW and just as many in management. Enough said on that.

Anyway, I just need to vent. As I was saying, dh took the buyout. Ford came out last Sept. with these offerings, really pushing the workers to consider their options and take one of the packages. At the time, dh and I decided NOT to take it. He had been reassured that his job was "safe". Then, as you can see, I am sure, he was told otherwise a couple of months later. The blue collar force had till Nov. 27, 2006 to sign up. Dh did. That was five months ago. We have now been told that it will take up to 8 weeks to receive his buy out check. Why? In this computerized age, why would it take so long? They have had five, FIVE, full months to get their acts together. I don't get it. We tried to access his 401, and found out that the holding company couldn't release it to us, because they have to wait for FMC to let them know that dh is not an active employee any longer. Fine. How long will that take? We were told that it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for FMC to "let them know", and then another 2 weeks to have a check cut for us. Why can't FMC just fax them a letter??? Email???? NOPE. They send it in the regular snail mail. We are fed up to say the least. Dh was talking to a friend who took the buy out in Jan, and this friend is still waiting for his 401!! There is no excuse in my book for the slopshod, sloppy way that the Company is handling all of this! I have read about some of the workers who took the buyout, and they have had to borrow money from family and friends, so that they could start their new jobs, or pay the utilities, food, or mtg payment. If this is indictative of how FMC's main office in the Glass house is run, it is no wonder that they are in the boat that they are in...sigh. My biggest concern is getting dh to his new job, and having $ to buy food for my kids. I also think that the 401's should be frozen until they can be release, rolled over, etc. Not an option, according to the holding company. So, while they are trying to figure out what the hell is going on, we could be losing money....sigh. I know, it happens everyday. This is just disgracful in my book. The company wanted people out, the people left, found other jobs, etc., but we are still in limbo....it just makes me mad.

5 comments:

R&R said...

Vent away, sweetie : ) and check your email.

Lemon Stand said...

I've been too sick of late to keep up but after reading the last few posts I just wanted to say Congratulations (belatedly on the new job) and Hang in there with everything else. Here's hoping you can keep your sense of humor intact til your inner beach bunny can relax in her new home. :o)

Anonymous said...

My Mom took the buyout from GM, 5 yrs ago now. I will admit it went smoother than that but.. and to be blunt... reading things on the bb etc and talking to my USA friends... I think the laws are different and that's why it went smoother.

Without that job, going to Univ would have been a lot harder than it was. I appreciate that job existed - things were very tight before she got it, I do not appreciate what it did to her back and hands. I am not "pro union".... (actually I'm a 'card carrying Conservative) but that job was there, she applied for it, she got it, she worked there etc etc. Anyone else could have done the same just like your DH did.

No matter what... there will always those that envy someone else and will complain about it. You are leaving and getting on with your lives... just ignore them it isn't worth getting upset over.

Keep pushing for your papers. Every couple of days. Play stupid "I was just checking to see how things are going"... put the "ball in their court" politely... One thing I've learned over the yrs it to be a "Professional Nag"... but you have to use a lot of sugar and just an hint of B.....

Congrats on you move and Dh's new job... will keep checking in to see how it's going.

S.

V-Medic said...

Thanks for the support Sheri..lol. I will admit, after writing that post, I thought to myself "oh shut up you big whinner!"..but it is just so rediculous!...V:0)

CrankyOtter said...

I don't think your post is ridiculous at all. As long as they don't give you your buyout money, they still have it and are earning interest money on it or spending it on themselves. You'd better believe if they wanted money from you, you wouldn't get 1-2 weeks to sort out the paperwork then another 2-4 weeks to cut the check. They are abusing your trust in the worst way and they are doing it deliberately and with malice aforethought. Be as irked as you want.

I like Sheri's idea that you call them every couple of days to see what the progress is. Just be extra super sugary sweet and pleasant but persistent like they've never seen before and let us know how it goes.

And your issue with the 401K makes me wonder if I should actually take ownership of my money from my previous job rather than keeping it in their plan. It never occurred to me that they could restrict access. Scary stuff. Vent away.