Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Where are all of the Heroes?

I guess today I am feeling rather melancholy. Last night, after dh and the kids had all gone to bed, it was finally quiet. So, I decided to re-read one of Suz's Troubleshooters books. I just grabbed one from the bookcase, and sat down to read. To me the best time of day is, when everyone else is asleep, and I can get comfy in my favorite sweats, cup of coffee and throw and just settle down to read a good book. And, as is usually the case, I get completely lost in the story that I am reading.
So, here I am, 11pm on a Sat night, reading about Lt. (jg) Mike Muldoon and Joan DeCosta. I have to admit, out of all of Suz's books, I think this is my favorite. I think, that if you ask most of the ladies of the BB, what book is their favorite, they will overwhelmingly say "Gone too Far"-which deals with long suffering hero and his lady, Sam and Alyssa. Don't get me wrong, I love that book too, but there is just something about Mike...sigh. I didn't particularly care for Joan, but Mike, to me, epitomized what a good man really is. And to be honest, what hetro, red-blooded woman, wouldn't love to be the center of attention by someone like him? I love the fact that he used to be a "fat kid" who was picked on all the time. Now, as an adult, he not only has become "movie star" handsome, but has achieved his dream of belonging to the most elite branch in the military. I also love the fact that he reassures Joan that he loves "real woman not women made of skin and bones." Sigh....dontcha love that? I wonder how many "real" men feel that way.
In today's age, I think women feel the intense pressure to be "picture" perfect. If a woman is not a size 8 or below, then she feels that she is somehow less a person. And we are all trying to lose weight. I know that I am. But lets face it, a size 2 I will never be, no matter how much I diet and exercise, that is not in my future. And I am good with that. However, I do wish that I was on the receiving end of more "smoldering looks" and " he looked at her like she was the only one in his universe" looks.
Dh has told me in the past, " you do realize that no flesh and blood man can keep up with the heroes in your books?" . My question is : why the hell not? I have told him that if more men would read these books, more women would be happier in their relationships! I am not asking for him to dress in camo and carry an assault rifle or K-bar. I am just saying, why can more husbands, boyfriends, etc. treat the woman in their life like the heroes in books treat their lady loves?
Christine Feehan's Carpathian series has one of the best sayings that I have read, or heard for that matter, anywhere. When the hero finally gets his love, he says that she is his, and that his ultimate duty is to make her happiness and welfare his number one priority. And she then reciprocates. I love this.
I guess, in my current melancholy mood, I just want to know, where are all the heroes? Oh, yeah, mine is sitting in the lazy boy watching the Wings game.....sigh.....V.

soundtrack: Where Are All the Heroes by Bonnie Tyler..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah V....I don't know what to say...but I am all teary eyed...R&R assures me that there are HEA's and not to ring that bell....but,sssshhhh don't tell R&R, I think I am listing to your side on this one....sigh

hang in there!!!

Anonymous said...

The problem with book hero's and real hero's... the first is written to perfection.. the real one is human and flawed.

Personally, I prefer the second... bad male habits and all.

S.

R&R said...

You'll have to email me the deets on CF's Carpathians. That's sweet stuff. I told ya what song to download...play it nice and loud. Your heroes ears will perk up ; )