Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Friday, February 16, 2007

Roses are Red........and too many smell like a funeral home......

LOL!! I know, that title sounds awful, don't it?

Valentine's Day 2007 was something to behold at my house. Usually on VD day, dh and I just get each other a card, reassure each other of our continued love, and then go about our day. Not the most romantic, but really..how many Hallmark Holiday's can you celebrate without it seeming contrived?

Anyway, as I have mentioned, dh and I are a work in progress. We have been together for 16 years. Three years of dating before marriage, and 13 years of marriage this coming Oct 22. During this time, as all married couples must, I guess, we have gone thru some turbulent periods. It is part of the "growing together" I have heard...uh huh.

Anyway, this year school was closed on Valentine's Day. Dh's classes had been canceled, so everyone but MOM, was still snug in their beds dreaming of cupids/hearts/and chocolate. Like I said, dh and I exchanged cards and kisses and that is about it. I don't think that we have had a "Valentine's Date" since before the kids came along. Actually, dh had given me my Valentine's card a day earlier, and me, loser that I am, forgot to get him one. So, before class I had to make an emergency dash to the nearest drug store to pick thru their already picked thru cards and try to find one that worked. Anyway, everyone is asleep and I am off.

Later that day, I am back home, kids are running around like heathens (thanks to dad giving them Valentine's candy before he left for work), and everything is normal in the Miller household.

About 8:30, I hear my oldest say "hi Daddy!". The plant had closed early, due to the storm and no trucks being able to get in with parts. I look up, and here is dh with roses...and not just one, or two or a dozen. NOPE....my dh comes walking into the house with 66 roses!!!! He just kept coming in putting a bunch down and going back out to get more.

Now, I have complained in the past, that dh isn't the most romantic man in the world.
And like any typical man, he figures that I should know that he loves me by now...lol. And most of the time, it is me who suprises dh. Not this time.

After he makes the final trip, and shuts the door, I am surrounded by roses. He looks at me and says: "The red roses total 16. One for every year that we have been together, including the time that we dated. The white roses total 50. One for every year that I plan on spending in the future to make you as happy as I can."

WOW. What can I say. I started crying. My girls are laughing and squealing as each bundle is unwrapped, and dh is just looking at me with the most loving look I have seen in some time. My son is too occupied with Spiderman to be bothered.

So, now, I have roses all over the place. Even in the bathroom. I was afraid to ask how much said roses set him back, but dh knows me. He looked at me and said "Steve at work, his brother owns a florist, and gave me a family discount, so quit worrying."-yep, he knows me alright...lol.

However, I have noticed that my house is starting to smell like a funreal home...not that I would ever say that to dh. I am still in shock. What can I say? I love the big man. Thru the trials and errors we have gone thru, he is a work in progress, and I am glad he is mine.

I wonder if this will continue next year? And I wonder if it will include diamonds....hey, a girl can always dream, right?lol..............

4 comments:

SINFUL said...

WOWZER Doc! You may just have yourself a keeper!!!

DTF said...

Very cool! And who cares if it smells like a funeral home... better than closed up winter house smell... :)

Janet Webb said...

That's one of the most romantic stories I've ever heard -- he wrapped your past, present and future into a huge bunch of every woman's fave flower on V-Day!!

And you made my V-week when that GI-NORMOUS box of books arrived ... even one off my cheap hunting list! I can't thank you enough ... you book pimp you :)

V-Medic said...

Janet, I am so glad that you got them! To be honest, I was starting to get concerned that they were lost.lol. Yep, I love the big lug. I think he is finally *getting* it....not that! MOOG!!lol..I mean the *romantic* aspects of life.....lol....V