Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Things That Go Bump In The Night....

How about that title, eh? The other night, I was on the phone with Tweet. Somehow, and I don't remember how it was brought up, but we got on the subject of being home alone at night.

I had mentioned to Tweet, that one night not too long ago, the weirdest thing happened. It was around 11 to 11:30 at night, (by this time my brain is just fried from the day, so pardon me if I can't remember the exact time..lol), and I had just gotten the little devils all to bed, and miracle upon miracles, they stayed in bed!

So, with the house quiet, having already done my chores for the night, I decided to take a hot bubble bath. So, there I am, lounging in the tub, reading my book (since the bathroom seems to be the only place that I can read in private), but I digress. So, I am in the tub not more than 15 minutes when the quiet, peacefulness of the night is broken. "Was that the doorbell?" I remember thinking to myself. But, since I am playing some light music in the living room, I am not sure. Whatever, I must have just imagined it.

Now, in case you didn't know, I have two dogs. One is a very old and cantakerous Bassitt Hound, who will sleep thru a nuclear blast, unless it smells like something is getting bar-b-qued in said blast, and then, he is all together and ready to parrrrtey. Then, I have a rowdy, fun loving, clutzy as hell, never met a stranger, loves anyone who pets her, Rottweiler, who scares the crap outta herself when she growls at squirrels. So, anyway, both dogs are quiet.

A few more minutes go by, and now I heard the doorbellagain. This time however, Sheba (the Rottie) did hear something, and starts barking and growling like the Hound of Hell.

I slip and slide trying to get myself outta the tub, before the Hound of the Baskervilles wakes up the kids and neighbors. I look outside and see....no one. Creepy. Ever see that movie, which was just recently remade, "When A Stranger Calls"?...yeah...it kept going thru my mind. The part where the bad guy keeps saying "have you checked the children?"....yikes.

So, after seeing no one outside and no footprints that I could see.. I make my way to the kids rooms and check on each of them. Good, all sound asleep. Bathtime for mom, however, is a thing of the past. I get my book, and curl up on the couch waiting for dh to come home from work.

Dh gets home about 2 hours later, and I tell him what happened. He says "it may have been the wind, you know sometimes that door bell button sticks"...this is true. All is well, my hubby is home and we settle down for the night. Me, him and my Rottie all curled up in bed..(I figure after her protective display tonite, she is entitled).

The next morning, as I am getting everyone, including myself off for the day, I noticed men's footprints(I am assuming they were men's due to the size) in the snow on the front porch. I look at dh and say "I thought you came in thru the back door last night? (I was in the bedroom when he got in), and he looks at me and says "I did."

Later that day, after watching the news, I found out that there has been a serial rapist in the area. He is targeting women in their homes in three different cities, one of which is mine. I turned off the news and gave my Rottie the biggest hug and treat I could find. And later that night, I made double sure all the locks were locked and all the lights were on...

4 comments:

R&R said...

I love my kitties, but when something goes bump in the night, I'm sure glad Rex is so vigilant.

As for how we got onto that topic, I wouldn't even hazard a guess. We're sort of like Chip 'n Dale on acid, dontcha think? Sweet Pea says I sound like a teenager when I'm on the phone with you. Like, omigawd, I so don't think sooo, do yuu?? : )

emily said...

holy shit, V!! that's darn scary... give your rottie another hug and an extra treat from me too... yikes!! didn't that completely freak you out?

Anonymous said...

We got on the topic b/c it was posted on the bb last week

V-Medic said...

Yep Em, I was totally freaked out the next day. I am so thankful now that we got Sheba. Wasn't too sure if she would be a great protector, as I said, she "never" sees a stranger....unless you consider a stranger our mailman who is terrified of dogs. Then, she just acts like she is the baddest bi*** around! I keep thinking of said incident each week when I have to go to the store and lug home a 50lb bag of dog food....lol...V