Anniversary Ring

Anniversary Ring

Monday, February 5, 2007

"Ya know in my day...."

Isn't it funny how the older we get, the more we sound like our parents? I remember my mother, (you will not find a kinder more loving soul) telling me that "if you don't stop that crying right now, I will give you something to cry about!" - I swore I would never use that phrase if I should ever have children. Oh how the mighty have fallen...lol. Another one was :" I am your Mother, not your best girlfriend. I did not suffer thru 30 hours of labor to have you sass me! I suffered 30 hours of labor so that I would have someone other than your father to take out the garbage and mow the lawn. And it is time you started paying up!"...lol.

It is so funny when I think about it. Today, the weather was -2 F with a wind chill of -15 to -18 (depending on what news channel you watched), and there were almost 200 school closings!! Now, don't get me wrong, I really didn't want my children out in that weather.....I tend to be a bit overprotective....think of the younger brother in "A Christmas Story"....yep ...that is how my kids tend to look in the winter. However, I seriously don't remember my school closing due to extreme cold, as I explained to Peyton when she asked me. Hell, I think the only time it closed was if we had a minimum of 10 inches of snow! When I told my girls this, all I received back was a rolling of the eyes and a "yeah, right mom." -Now I know how my parents felt. It seems my mother got her wish x 2. She always told me that I would wind up with children who would put me thru what I put her thru. There are times that I think to myself that I must have really pissed her off, for her to lay that particular mojo on me...'cause it just so happened that it came to pass...lol. So, school was closed today. All three kids at home with me. My class was canceled also.
You would think though, if the school systems know that the temps are going to cause a problem, (after all, it has been all over the weekend news) that they would let the public know the night before! Oh NO! I didn't find out that I could have slept in till after I had shut off the alarm, gotten all three kids up, threw a pot of coffee on and then turned the news on...sigh. So, tonite, I had scanned all of the websites of our local news, and kept checking the channels on t.v. Well, there were some smart cookies out there. It seemed that everyone of the other school districts had gone ahead and notified the powers that be that school would be canceled. Did my school district?? Uh.....no. Finally, at about 11:15, I get an email that my school district is closed. They decided to let the parents know the night before as a courtesy. Gee thanks. So, tomorrow, I will have three kids at home again. I think we will make it a movie marathon. I will not have class either, (I called and checked tonite.) so, I plan on turning off the alarm, snuggling down into my blankets, and wait for chaos to begin again.....no prob....will just have to make the coffee Irish.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I FEEL your pain...:(...I am thinking roller skateing and whiskey...and I am not real particular on which of us picks up which activity!!!!:)

V-Medic said...

I KNOW you do Cmdr!lol...roller skating and whiskey??hmmmm now you got me to thinkin...lol...V

Anonymous said...

As I told the Cmdr.. pooor babies :)

Schools are open here.. and we're just as cold.

YIPPEEE that means littlest is gone and all I have is "chicken pox" kid :)

Janet Webb said...

Hey V ... I keep checking your blog to see what you'll have to say about your two guy day: Billy and Alden ... best thing about roller skating -- the great music :)

V-Medic said...

Janet, I will update my blog on my experiences with my twosome tonite...lol..V:0)

Janet Webb said...

So V, tell me how you like Alden now ... bet you shouted some salty sayings at the TV that you didn't even know you knew! I'm finding that it doesn't get much better than singing along to the song du jour ... the louder the better ... and dialing him down: unfortunately at the beginning, I was all hands on deck ... I could barely understand what on earth he expected me to do! So how ARE you feeling?